This week I will be co-teaching with my C.T. We are beginning our Holocaust Literature unit with our 8th graders, who are excited and very inquisitive about WWII and the Holocaust. As my C.T. and I prepare the lessons, it seamlessly falls into place. We easily plan, bouncing ideas off of each other, to form the lesson. However, maneuvering together and co-teaching the lesson hasn't quite congealed in the same manner. Comparing my student teaching to my practicum experience, co-teaching seems much more difficult and I believe it's because I don't have the same relationship built with my C.T. as I had with Heather. So I am wondering how much of a relationship do you need to have with the other instructor in order for the instruction to seamlessly flow together? Is a relationship even a necessity?
Several texts we have read throughout the past few years has emphasized the creation of relationships (or connections) with students. For a teacher to be effective, there must be an established connection with the students. Now I know this doesn't necessarily mean a teacher will be liked by his/her students, but I do feel that with many of my students, I don't feel I am being an effective instructor when there isn't some sort of connection with my student. So does this same idea apply itself with co-teaching? To be an effective partner in co-teaching, do you need an established connection with the other instructor(s)? This question just continues to circle around in my head.
I think when co-teaching it's very important to have a very special relationship. Ashley and I worked well together and complimented each other, but this is not always the case. You and Heather seemed great together and I'm sure that that made the flow easy! I believe that a relationship is necessary, but then again that makes it hard because you still want to keep a professional distance.
ReplyDeleteI never thought about the relationship with other teachers as well as the relationship with the students and I believe this is very crucial especially in a student teaching experience. I think you can learn a lot from the person you are co-teaching with and regardless if this comes easily or with a few bumps you will learn some valuable lessons and pick up some great instructional tools! Good luck and I can't wait to hear about the Holocaust unit!!